Monday, December 28, 2009

2010 - Whaaaaaaaa What??

Question.  As we approach 2010, I need to know.... how do you say 2010?  Do you say "two-thousand-and-ten" or do you say "twenty-ten"? 

It's now 2009 - two-thousand-and-nine.  And before 2009, it was two-thousand-and-eight.  Before that, it was two-thousand-and-seven.......

But, when we read history books, we don't say 1901 was "one-thousand-nine-hundred-and-one" or even "nineteen-hundred-and-one" we say it was "nineteen-oh-one."  In 1987 it was "nineteen-eighty-seven" and in 1999, we partied like it was "nineteen-ninety-nine."  So what is the proper etiquette for 2010?

And furthermore, since we're getting technical, what's this decade called?  The two-thousands?  Granted, I've only had the pleasure of living in 3 decades, but I had the eighties, the nineties, and THIS - whatever it's called.  Well..... what IS it called?  Or what's it supposed to be called?  I didn't get the memo...... and now it's almost over and I still don't know how to refer to it!  What's the next decade going to be called - the two-thousand-teens?  The two-thousand-tens?  Do you see the dilemma?

So many questions.....  I've been mulling over this for some time and I'm wondering if anybody has any insight so I can rest easy at night again.

No comments:

Post a Comment