Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Never judge a book by its cover

Well, I finally did it.  I took myself down to the library and got a card.  And then I turned into the asshole whose cell phone rings.... in the LIBRARY!  Where you could hear a pin drop!  And then I walked aimlessly around because I didn't know where anything was and my mind decided to go completely blank, rendering itself completely useless.  And God forbid I try to use one of the stupid new reference computers.  Can somebody please, please, pretty please bring back the card catalog and the old fashioned Dewey Decimel System before it was updated in 2003.  I know I only just turned 30, but damn! 

I finally managed to round up 4 books to check out and as I made my way to the check out area, I saw it.  The stereotype I pictured in my head.  The reason I have avoided going to the library in the first place.  The lady in front of me in line was the slightly overweight, pale skinned, woman in her late thirties, with her arms full of trashy Harlequin romance novels (you know - the ones made famous by featuring Fabio on the covers).  It took every fiber of my being not to throw my 4 books down and run out of the library never to look back.  But I didn't.  I stood my ground and tried my best to look as least like her as I possibly could.

After I checked out, I made my way out behind a somewhat short, rotund, young black guy who reeked of marijuana.  I took a deep breath, smiled to myself, and made my way to my car.... at least I learned a valuable lesson today:  bibliophiles come in all forms these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment