Friday, April 16, 2010

Cilantro is the Devil

I personally have a deep rooted hatred for cilantro (aka coriander).



People look at me like I'm absolutely crazy and I've lost my mind if it ever comes up in conversaion.  I find it hard to believe that people actually like that crap!  My friend Jen even has a cilantro plant - apparently she can't get enough of the stuff - meanwhile, I can smell the stuff and lose my appetite.  It's hard to believe we're even friends.

I recently stumbled across this article in the NY Times...... when I say "stumbled across" I mean I googled the phrase "I HATE CILANTRO" and it came up.  My hatred of all things cilantro is no secret.... as within 12 hours of actually finding the article myself, 2 friends e-mailed me a link to the article.  Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html.  It says something along the lines of people that hate cilantro associate the taste with a soap/lotion taste.  I've never actually willingly eaten lotion so I don't know if that's what I would compare it to, but I've always said it reminds me of a sort of chemical-like flavor - sort of what I would imagine cleaning products are made of.  GROSS.YUCK.NASTY.

Ever heard of a fast-food type restaurant called Chipotle?  Well, I've personally decided to boycott their nasty food.  Why?  I innocently ordered a rice/bean/chicken burrito.  Upon taking ONE bite, my gag reflex kicked in.  They mix cilantro into their rice - and they have the nerve to brag about it on their menu (see website for poof!).  WHAT THE HELL?  If you know me, you'd know that I love rice and beans.  Love isn't even a strong enough word.  I have an intimate relationship with the stuff.  CAN'T GET ENOUGH.  And everyone always raves about how delicious Chipotle is and how I had to try it.  It would figure that Jen (cilantro-plant-growing-whore) would be one of those people.  Until they have a plain white rice option, I swear to NEVER let their nasty-ass-disgusting-cilantro-laced food touch these lips ever again.  EVER. 

I bet you're thinking that I don't like salsa, right?  Well - WRONG.  I love salsa, but it presents me with a real dilemma.  I can't just dig my tortilla chip in and grab a scoop full.... I have to dip and scrape and make sure that all those little green devil flecks are nowhere near my tortilla before I ingest it.  If anybody knows of any yummy salsa without cilantro, please do tell!   

There is a point to this rambling, and this is it:  CILANTRO SUCKS ASS.  And you suck if you like it - because I said so!

No comments:

Post a Comment