Sunday, May 15, 2011

Why can't this wedding just plan itself?

I want to get married.  I've wanted to be married for as long as I can remember.  But I have absolutely no desire to plan an actual wedding.  I'm so Type A - the last thing I need is more stress in my life.  Yet, here we are!  It's been just over a month since our engagement and everyday, people are asking me when my wedding will be.  I had a small panic attack last week about this.  Here's the thing.... I don't want a big wedding.  I don't have a big wedding budget.  We don't have a lot of family in this country.  Between the two of us, most of our families are overseas - mine in Italy, his in Argentina.  However, having said that, I happen to like really nice things.  It's something that's plagued me since childhood.  My dad loves to tell stories about how, as a little girl, I would point to shoes in a shoe store, and he could rest assured that they would be the most expensive pair in the entire store.  And to be honest, not much has changed in that regard as I got older.

We finally started putting together a list last week, and we actually went to check out a few places.  We started at the W Hotel on Ft. Lauderdale Beach.  Super nice, really trendy, absolutely enormous.  Naturally, when having a smaller wedding (think 75ish people), you are more limited in the venues you can choose from.  Much like planning a large wedding, the size of the room dictates which you can use.  Of course, I fell madly in love with the W's Grand Ballroom which fits something like 400 people.  I asked if they could partition part of it off, but was told for a Saturday night event, no such luck.  And I'm not willing to consider a Friday or Sunday wedding - it's just not my thing.  D liked the other space they showed us - me, not so much.  I'll have to sleep on that one. 


We traveled down the beach to the Hilton - not our favorite.  Not bad, but not great.  We tried the Atlantic Hotel - too small.  We looked at the Pelican Grand - but I'm not a fan of outdoor venues. 

This weekend, while D is biking in the MS 150, my recently engaged friend Jen and I made a trip to meet with the director of events and catering at the Hyatt Pier 66.  And of course, of all the spaces I was shown, the Pier Top is the one I want.  Go big or go home, baby. 



It's a special venue offering unparalleled 360-degree views of the skyline and coastline through floor-to-ceiling windows and the perimeter rotates around the center.  Corny?  Or Cool?  All the photos I've seen of weddings in this particular room are gorgeous!  And you don't have to worry about ugly walls or fixtures since they're all windows!  The view during the day was incredible, so I can't imagine what it looks like at night!


We checked the availability and the next available Saturday evening for the Pier Top is January 28th.  (I didn't want to check the summer months - too soon and too hot!)  Usually there is a $20,000 minimum in food/beverage for the Pier Top for Saturday night, but the director said we could probably work out a deal. 

Jen and I also stopped by a brand new hotel called B Ocean.  It was a former Holiday Inn until Hurricane Wilma came through.  Apparently, it's sat vacant for the past several years until being purchased and completely rennovated - down to the electrical and plumbing according to the manager on duty.  It's such a shame it sat vacant so long because it really is a prime piece of real estate.  All the rooms face the Atlantic Ocean and the wedding areas were actually quote impressive.  The main ballroom area is on the penthouse and has floor to ceiling windows overlooking Ft. Lauderdale beach.


Decisions, decisions.......... ahhhhh............ Hopefully we can find a place perfect for us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment