Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Back with another one of those block rockin' beats!

So, OK.  I am a music snob.  I judge people by the type of music they listen to.  Personally, I have a laughable/ridiculous collection of music.  It's shameful, really.  Here's a little sampler platter of my extensive CD collection:
-Joey Lawrence - Joey Lawrence
-D2: The Mighty Ducks Soundtrack (didn't know there was one?  Boom - now you know!)
-*Nsync - *Nsync
-2 Unlimited - No Limits (don't lie - you still jam to this at football games)
-David Arkenstone - Citizen of Time
-Enya - Paint the Sky With Stars (a true favorite - don't hate)
-Britney Spears - ....Baby One More Time
-Wu Tang - Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers)

But enough about those...... I will say there are (many) other, just as embarrassing additions that I don't feel like naming.  Maybe one day. 

My favorite time period for music is the mid-nineties.  The time when I first started high school.  Music was just GOOD.  Always has been, probably always will be.  You know the time period - when the likes of Green Day, No Doubt, The Cranberries, Nirvana, Collective Soul, Lenny Kravitz, Alanis Morisette, Smashing Pumpkins, Sublime, Stone Temple Pilots, Chili Peppers, Fiona Apple, Silverchair, etc. started emerging (and back when you could still watch a music video on MTV).  And you know what - most of them (save the bands where their singers ODed/died/quit) are STILL churning out amazing albums.  Even hip hop was better - LL Cool J, Busta Rhymes, Jay-Z, Pras, Mya, Tu-Pac, Snoop Dogg, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, etc. etc. 

Music was just good in the mid-90s.  There were amazing one-hit wonders too!  I've included links to youtube so you can re-live the greatness:
-Spacehog - In the Meantime (my favorite one hit wonder EVER!)
-Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars
-4-Non Blondes - What's Up?
-Blind Melon - No Rain
-Blur - Song 2
-Chumbawumba - Tub Thumper (senior year of high school - I loved to hate this one)
-Veruca Salt - Seether
-Mazzy Starr - Fade Into You
-Meredith Brooks - Bitch
-Semisonic - Closing Time (saw them live)
-Tracy Bonham - Mother Mother
-Marcy Playground - Sex & Candy (a TRUE one hit wonder - trust me, I bought their whole cd which was crap!)

Of course, I do have a soft spot for the "classics" as I call them:  U2, The Beatles, The Doors, Queen, Michael Jackson, Aerosmith, etc.  That's just good music - I don't care who you are!

I could go on and on - but I won't!  My point?  I'm kind of weird about my music (clearly).  Music lately just hasn't been doing it for me.  And when I say lately, I'm talking about this past decade or so.  Sure there were some gems mixed in, but over all - it was kind of a let down coming from the peak of amazing (in my opinion) from the mid-nineties.  That's the music that really created the soundtrack that defined youth.  I grew up (literally) with that music, and it will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart.

Having said that, lately, I have surprised myself with my musical choices.  I frequent the gym (not really), but I frequent spinning class - and by frequent, I mean I go once a week.  So lately I've really enjoyed music with a good beat that I can really exercise to.  I've been drawn to a lot of LMFAO and Lil Jon - don't judge me. 

Some of my recent favorite songs to listen to include:
-Cee Lo Green - Fuck You (or Forget You depending on whether it's on the radio or not)
-Florence + the Machine - Dog Days Are Over
-Enrique Iglesias - I Like It
-Black Eyed Peas - Time of My Life
-LMFAO - Shots
-David Guetta - Getting Over You
-Katy Perry - Firework
-Wiz Khalifa - Black and Yellow

Just had to get that all off my chest.... suddenly I feel like pulling out my old yearbooks and photo albums.  Maybe I'll throw my Alanis Morisette CD on and reminisce.  Maybe not!

No comments:

Post a Comment