Saturday, January 29, 2011

Beauty confession

So, I have a confession to make.  I spend (a lot) of money on different products for my skin.  Let me back track a second..... throughout my teenage years, I had perfect skin.  No acne, no blemishes, nothing.  Friends used to envy my skin.  And truth be told, I took care of it.  I applied benzol peroxide every night - just in case.  I used moisturizer when my skin was dry, I washed my face before going to bed every night - I did everything right.... and it showed.

Fast forward 5 years to my early/mid twenties, and my skin took a poop.  I started breaking out, and try as I might, NOTHING worked.  NOTHING!  Well, to be honest, stuff did work, but once I stopped taking it, it would go right back.  So I finally decided I wanted someone to give me Accutane.  Easier said than done.  Nobody would give it to me until finally, one dermatologist perscribed it - probably just to shut me up.  And yes - it worked.  It was a miracle.  I mean, despite the fact that now I suffer from various intestinal disorders - which may or may not be a result of having taken the drug, it did work wonders. 

It's been about 5 or 6 years since I finished my Accutane cycle, and my skin is pretty much fabulous.  I'm not going to lie.  However that junk works, it seriously fixes your skin forever.  I stopped taking such good care of my skin, and yet, it's still fabulous.  Go figure, right? 

So - as I was saying - I do spend a lot of money on various products for my skin - moisturizers, toners, primers, night creams, wrinkle creams, etc.  Clinique, Este Lauder, Oil of Olay, Neutrogena, Elizabeth Arden, Villa Floriani, etc.  And I do wash my face before going to sleep every night.  But it's what I wash my face with that i'm confessing about.  I buy Oil of Olay Foaming Face Wash to use, but I keep it in the shower, and usually at night I end up just washing my face with good old hand soap at the sink because I'm too lazy to walk 5 steps to the shower, bend over, and get the actual face wash!  On top of that, I'm too tired at night to bother applying any lotion, cream, toner, etc. to my face - I just want to go to bed - so hundreds of dollars worth of products go unused in my gravehard of beauty supplies (i.e. my medicine cabinet).

Oddly enough, every night as I wash my face with HAND SOAP, I tell myself that tomorrow I'm going to start taking better care of my skin.  But then I get lazy again and the whole cycle starts over.  In case you're wondering, I am currently washing my face with this lovely handsoap from Bath & Body Works - Anti Bacterial Gentle Foaming Hand Soap in White Citrus.
Word to the wise...... don't wash your face with the Twister Peppermint hand soap - it burned my eyes (and face) like all hell for about 10 minutes! 

Since I already washed my face tonight (with hand soap), I will officially start using face wash tomorrow (or so I say).

No comments:

Post a Comment