Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 9 {of 30}

Day 09- Something you’re proud of in the past few days

This might sound cheesy, but I'm super proud that I was able to sit back, chill out, and actually book a quasi-last minute vacation!  If you know me, you know I am super tense and uptight - ALL THE TIME!  I can't help it.  I'm a total Type A and try as I might, it's super hard for me to ever go with the flow.  I despise change - I live for routine.  I need to have my days planned out hour-to-hour.  I'm an incredible at over analyzing - I can scrutinize details for days. 

Long story short (or not), we have been talking about flying down to Argentina to see my boyfriend's family.  They moved back there about 3 years ago and we haven't seen them since.  Originally we were going to try to go around Labor Day so we could enjoy their cold weather (since it's their winter), but due to work complications, we posponed.  At the time, tickets were about $1200 each, round trip.  Not fantastic, but not terrible. 

We recently started looking again - to see how much it would cost to go at the end of this year or the first few months of next year - umm yeah - tickets jumped to $1900 each.  So we decided to postpone yet again.  Because of that, my boyfriend decided he HAD to have a vacation or he would go crazy and started thinking up ideas and came up with San Francisco.  His original idea was to do San Francisco, Yosemite, and Monterey.  I kind of brushed him off at first - sometimes we can both be all talk.  But the more we started thinking about it, the more we wanted to go.... but when?  He originally wanted to go the first week in December - which is way too short notice - plus my dad is out of town so nobody would be able to watch our dog. 

I was talking about it at work one day, and a lady I work with - who used to be a flight attendant for Delta - told me that Delta flies to San Francisco.  I was all - YEAH I KNOW - and then she told me that she has about 8 buddy passes she needs to use up before she's no longer employed by Delta and she'd give us 2 if we wanted to go.  (I honestly don't know how she's still employed by Delta when she hasn't worked a single day for the last 6 years, but that's her business!)  So I told her if she's giving out buddy passes, I'd rather have 2 to go to Argentina.  So we looked up some prices and they come to about $430 each round trip.  HELLS YEAH.

Told the boyfriend, and we talked about going there for New Years.  I told him it was totally up to him - wherever he wanted to go - I'd go.  But after all the California talk, it just sounded so appealing..... so we decided to do the California trip now for New Years and use her buddy passes for Argentina sometime next year.  And that's what we did!  And we actually booked and planned everything!  (The only thing we changed is that we dropped the Yosemite stop from our trip - we figured for 2 people from South Florida who have never even seen snow in their lives, it would probably be best to visit Yosemite at a time where we wouldn't have to drive over 200 miles in a rental car in "heavy snow/chain" conditions through the mountains.)  I'm so incredibly proud!!!!  We never do anything for New Years - except for go out downtown or something - so this will be super fun - and we deserve it! 

On a side note, the lady I work with also gave my dad a buddy pass for a round trip ticket to Italy - she's awesome - and I'm incredibly THANKFUL for her.

Having said all that - Happy Thanksgiving to all!  I'm missing my family this year and can't wait for Christmas when my daddy comes home!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment