Friday, November 5, 2010

What Not to Wear / What TO Wear??

I used to love the show What Not to Wear..... back before I had a life (not that I do now), I used to watch it pretty much every Friday night...... but those days have passed and now I'm lucky if I catch a re-run every few months.  I'm not feeling well tonight, so I'm camped out on the couch with my baby (puppy) and we're watching the show for old time's sake - and it just made me realize I have a major clothing dilema.

I like clothes... I like to try them on, buy them, buy accessories for them, find shoes to match them, etc.  I'm a girl - it comes with the territory.  I seriously have an enormous wardrobe.... and a lot of items that still have tags on them.  Yet every morning, I wake up and find myself wondering what the heck I'm going to wear.... and usually I find myself gravitating towards the same outfits - over and over again.  B.O.R.I.N.G! 

I don't work in an office that requires us to dress up - we're business casual - heavy on the "casual."  My boss comes to work in t-shirts and sweat pants 99% of the time.  When we have visitors and need to "dress up" he wears his fancy dark wash jeans and his "fun" button down shirt with the funky design on it.  That's just how we roll. 

At one time, we had to dress up every day except Friday.... and by "dress up" I just mean we couldn't wear denim unless it was Friday.  Back then, I would wear all kinds of cute things, I had tons of skirts, a variety of different colored slacks, shoes for each outfit, etc.  I was a real fashion plate.  But as the years went on and business CASUAL became the rule, I've become lazy.  I won't say I've reached the point where I've given up - I've NEVER worn sweats or yoga stretch pants to work (yet), but I feel just as bland.

I rotate between two pairs of JOE'S jeans because they're the most comfortable.  I shy away from anything with a collar because it feels too uptight.  The majority of what I wear is cotton, and I almost NEVER wear anything other than a 2 inch wedge heel anymore.  I've definitely lost my swaggar. 

I wish someone would nominate me for What Not to Wear, but I don't think my problem is finding things that look good on me - it's just simply a lack of motivation to dress myself in the morning.  I need Stacy London and Clinton Kelly to slap some ambition into me.

I took a picture of my closet after I organized as part of my New Year's Resolution for 2010 and it's definitely not AS neat as it was when I first did it, but it's basically the same - except there are even more clothes piled into it - to the point where I now have some stacks on the floor..... yet I have NOTHING TO WEAR! 

Since I have to share this closet, organization is key.  Basically, I have all of the hanging space except for one small quadrant in the front left hand side and one small section on the back right side.  The rest of the hanging space (top and bottom) is mine.  There are also some hanging shelves on the front right side - that's where all my jeans, shorts, gym clothes, and tops that don't fit on hangers go.  There are shoe racks on the bottom of both sides for all my "overflow shoes" and of course, the shoe rack in the back - which I share 50/50 - except each of my cubbies has about 3-4 pairs of my shoes shoved into it while his have one pair each.  My purses have a special hanging shelf system in the back right side that you can't see - and my overflow purses go on the top racks - along with my hats and scarves (and some of his pants).  My Louies, Coaches, and Dooneys go front and center of course, on top of my shoe rack - right in the middle. 
I don't know if you can really tell from the picture how many items of clothes are shoved into this closet, but I'm not going to lie - it's a lot...... and yet, I still have nothing to wear in the morning.  What's up with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment